One Month Until Larry’s Ride!
By Bruce Cohen - August 4, 2015
2015 Larry's Ride Poster
Larry’s Ride is our first major fundraiser of the year. The proceeds for this ride, lovingly called Bike Maryland’s Beautiful Beast because of the rolling terrain of northwestern Baltimore County, directly support our advocacy and education initiatives. If you appreciate having a full-time advocate to work in Annapolis and across the state with your representatives, please ride with us, join us, donate today, or volunteer for Larry’s Ride or Tour du Port.
This summer, our advocacy and education calendars have been booked! Here is an overview of what we have been doing to advance bicycling in Maryland!
- Full schedule of youth safety bicycle rodeos across the state, including: Anne Arundel County, Baltimore City, Baltimore County, Calvert County, Frederick County, Montgomery County, Prince George’s County, and Washington County.
- Educating Physical Education teachers about our education programming to reach more students in a classroom environment during the school year. If you would like to help us bring our bicycle education program to your neighborhood elementary school, please contact us.
- Worked with Delegates Lafferty, Beidle, Fraser-Hidalgo, and Lam to convene a Three Foot Working Group this summer. Last legislative session our attempts to make the three foot law apply on all roads failed. To prepare for next year, we have convened a group of legislators and stakeholders to determine how we can apply the three foot law to all roads.
- Worked with local advocates across the state and are actively starting new groups where ones do not already exist, including the recently created Carroll County Bicycle Advocacy Committee and laying the groundwork for advocacy in Cecil County.
- Opposed the Towson Spokes Plan, which uses “Share the Road” signs as the backbone for a bicycle network in and around Towson. These signs are acceptable in certain cases, but they do not replace dedicated bicycle lanes and traffic calming measures to create a safe environment.
Upcoming Bike-Minded Volunteer Needs
- Friday, August 21, 4:30 PM to 7:00 PM: Port Discovery Youth Bike Safety Rodeo
- Saturday, August 22, 11 AM to 1 PM: Franklintown Fun Fest Youth Bike Safety Rode
if you would like to volunteer!